Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My Hobby outside of Foreclosure Prevention

I started coaching when I was 26 years old and did not have a clue what I was doing, but it didn't take long to fall in love with the girls on my squad.  I will never forget that first season, I just didn't understand what all the fuss was over with this competition stuff. I remember saying, they are just kids this should be fun. Wow, was I in for a surprise! That first competition we came in almost last and I cant ever forget that sweet little freckle faced little girls looked up at me with tears streaming down her face and she said, "Coach Scarlett, what did I do wrong?" I left that competition with one goal, that was to learn everything I could to be the best coach I could be for those kids. The truth was, they did nothing wrong. We lost because I was not prepared, I did not take it serious so I went to every coaches clinic I could find and read up on every coaching motivational book I could get my hands on. Genny was 7 that first year, her second we came in 3rd and from the time she was 9 till she was 13 we placed 1st and Grand Champion. Our team was so amazing that by the time they hit 6th grade we didn't realize that we needed to cap a team. That wasn't ever a problem, we ended up with 54 cheerleaders that year.

I have taken breaks and gone back a few times and normally I stick with a group while they grow. I love coaching, I love the sport and I love the kids. I can be having the worst day at work and walk out on the field and it all just disappears with every laugh and giggle. 
I can feel that my age is catching up with me, and things do change but that's when its time to bring in younger kids to bring in the newest moves.
For me, taking this group of strangers from the first practice to a well orchestrated routine is an art form in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment